Inward Bound – Episode Two – Habits for Better Sleep
In this Inward Bound episode, Dave Korsunsky speaks with Sopurkha Kaur, CEO of Awareness Generation, to share ‘promoting habits for better sleep’. Learn actionable tools that are sure to improve your sleep with a few adjustments—from the orientation of your bed to quick hit breathing exercises for optimal relaxation.
Sopurkha Kaur has earned the equivalency of a Master’s Degree from the Kundalini Research Institute. As a Certified Teacher for the past nine years, she has observed remarkable personal transformations in herself and thousands of other people after consistently incorporating teachings established over 5,000 years ago. Kundalini techniques are designed for the ‘modern-day householder,’ or busy people who have a desire to heal and evolve through mind-body practices but also need to focus on jobs and families.
David discusses how we can employ these promoting habits in our daily life and quantify them with the latest digital health technology.
- How the position of your bed affects your sleep based on its relation to the earth’s gravitational pull on your body
- How Left Nostril Breathing affects energy flow and produces calming for sleep(guided Left Nostril Breathing is practiced at the end of the show)
- How the firmness of your bed affects your sleep. Make sure your spine is supported by a firm bed
- The importance of strenuous exercise every day. Getting at least 30 min sets the body up for great sleep
- Be mindful of when you stop eating before you go to bed, as digestion can delay deep sleep
- Hydration is key in allowing the brain to rest and rejuvenate
- Lower lights, switch to candles before bed, unplug and avoid blue light devices for a couple of hours before bed
- There are approximately 72,000 nerves that end in the feet, soaking your feet in icy cold water for 3-4 minutes before bed will instantly calm your entire nervous system and your organs throughout your body
- Using acupressure/foot massage on your feet before sleep to support your organs can be really helpful too. Here’s a foot map to show the exact areas on the feet correlate to specific body parts/organs
- Track your heart rate, HRV and sleep with a tracking device so you can start doing your own n=1 experiments to find out what is most affecting your sleep
- How to practice Three Part Breathing (click for instructions). The mind follows the breath, so when we consciously control our breath, the mind has no choice but to listen to the cues the breath is giving it.
- Try Left Nostril Breathing (click for instructions) for optimal relaxation before sleep, or if you wake up and can’t get back to sleep. The left nostril is connected to the moon’s energy which is cleansing, calming, and cooling energy.
Join us every Friday on Facebook Live for a new episode of Inward Bound, where Dave Korsunsky interviews experts in the areas of mindfulness, meditation, and other body awareness techniques and how you can track them through Heads Up Health to learn more about how to support your unique health and body.
About Heads Up Health
Heads Up Health is an app designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use data to optimize your health.
About Awareness Generation
Awareness Generation elevates workplace productivity, engagement, teamwork, and health by teaching people how to transform stress into vitality. Enjoy unconventional training taught on or offsite through varying length workshops—customized to the business goals. Programs are people-centric, fuses perfectly into any industry, offered across the globe, and focused on Igniting Human Brilliance in the Workplace.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts |
If you’ve been diagnosed with a chronic disease and have come up short on getting to the root cause with conventional medicine, then perhaps you’re looking in the wrong place. Conventional medicine is great for acute injuries and infections, however, we must not overlook the aspect of nutritional healing through diet and targeted supplementation guided by functional testing as Dr. Darren Schmidt of The Nutritional Healing Center of Ann Arbor, MI offers in his practice.
Dr. Darren Schmidt has been a practicing chiropractor since 1997, who shifted his practice in 2005 to stop taking insurance to be able to help his patients more. Ironic, right? By letting go of the insurance restrictions and hoops to jump through, he was able to spend more time researching and better understand why his patients with chronic disease were not healing. He now spends time daily studying new information and links that are passed on through his patients.
In addition to running a full-time nutritional healing practice, he also runs The Good Fat Company and producing The Good Fat Bar and publishing a magazine Good Fat Life with Terry Duperon and Sherri Richards
Listen in iTunes!
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up Health, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices and apps and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- About Dr. Darren Schmidt’s initial visits include a diet assessment and a muscle testing biofeedback method to do a quick assessment of what is going on in the body [5:35]
- That the muscle testing he uses to gives a quick assessment in about 5 minutes and then he uses conventional labs to explore more of what is going on in the body [6:20]
- How a VLDL >19 can indicate too many carbs or too many carbs + fat in the diet [7:00]
- That triglycerides drop down first in ketosis, and that LDL is like a bus shuttling the fat. In ketosis, the body is using fats for fuel and so you can lower a very high triglyceride level to really good levels with dietary changes like a low-carb/high-fat diet. The LDL might go up in ketosis but it doesn’t matter the same way it does on a Standard American Diet [8:15]
- About the Minnesota Coronary Experiment involving 9000 people in a controlled institution in the 70s who lowered their fat intake and the LDL went down over the course of years but it did not change their rate of heart attacks or heart disease. It did, however, raise all rate mortality and cancer [8:50]
- How Dr. Darren Schmidt takes the average person and gets them into ketosis using Cronometer with macro adjusting and weekly support, in the beginning, to help them navigate things like the “keto flu” [9:40]
- Men will lose their belly fat and gain muscle but their body weight will remain the same on keto [13:03]
- How you can calculate your own VLDL if it’s not included with your results by taking total cholesterol minus LDL minus HDL = VLDL [13:55]
- How he uses functional testing like the GI MAP and Genova stool test with DNA testing, and how diet can affect microbiome diversity [15:50]
- How people can have a virus, fungus and a parasite in the body at the same time, and that he takes a whole body approach looking at your whole “bio-burden” and then coming up with a plan to address them all for whole body healing [17:00]
- How you have to be your own detective, and why it’s only through tracking that you can see where things are going wrong and you have an opportunity to course correct before developing chronic disease [19:55]
- That he wants patients to test ketones and glucose at the end of the day and see that glucose is coming down and ketones are going up using a Keto Mojo meter daily [23:15]
- That 75% of kids between 14-19 have high insulin! [23:40]
- How home testing for insulin would be the Holy Grail of at home testing, but we’re just not there yet in terms of technology to get that to market yet [23:50]
- That functional testing on your own for glucose and insulin can empower you to make changes long before you’re actually given a chronic disease or diabetes diagnosis and put you in control of your health [25:00]
- How Dr. Darren Schmidt also helps his patients support their bodies to function better through digestive support so that they can do a ketogenic diet and not have trouble digesting fats, etc. [26:10]
- About how bad canola and other seed oils are for your health [27:15]
- How Twitter poster Tucker Goodrich started improving his health by stopping seed oils, and how he talks about how China and India eat 70% of their calories from carbs which have stayed the same for decades. The big change for them over time was the introduction of seed oils which have skyrocketed diabesity, and heart disease rates, by getting rid of lard and coconut oil and replacing it with seed oils [28:00]
- How eating a high-fat, low-carb diet can be great for your health but the quality of the fats can play a huge part in whether or not you’re actually promoting health [29:10]
- How Nutrition Coalition Nina Teicholz is trying to get really good scientist on the panel to update food guidelines in 2020 [30:30]
- About his company, The Good Fat Company created with a friend in the grocery industry. They created a bar that was high in fat and protein and low in carbs, and now they make the Good Fat Life Bar and publish Good Fat Life Magazine with Terry Duperon and Sherri Richards [30:55]
- Clinical Pearl #1 from Dr. Darren Schmidt –
- After he was diagnosed with black mold poisoning 3 years ago, he found the mechanism of chronic disease which was studied extensively from the 1840s to after WWII and it was forgotten after 1960, which he talks about extensively in his YouTube channel, but include:[32:42]
- Excess sugar consumption
- Then address the mechanism of chronic disease and the symptoms that come from organ dysfunction. In his case the black mold caused heart pain, so he treated the heart and fed it and the muscles to get rid of the pain.
- Clinical Pearl #2 – The importance of eating glands like liver, which you can take in pill form if you don’t like the idea of eating organ meats such as Heritage Glandulars or Ancestral Health
- Glandulars can’t be taken every day for the rest of your life but must be cycled due to the hormonal component of the glands [35:55]
- Toxins-heavy metal urine tests, Quicksilver Scientific has a test, chemical toxicity testing and then using something like Systemic Formulas detox box kits, or Cellcore Biosciences kits and retesting to make sure it’s cleared [36:30]
- That it can take 2-5 years to get metals out and in some cases, he’s seen parasites take a year and a half to clear [38:15]
- Why biofeedback helps you develop an awareness of what is working and what is not by listening to your body more to optimize your health [39:12]
- Clinical Pearl #3 – Fitness nutrition is human nutrition. The largest organ in the body is the muscles so you need to feed them properly. If your muscles are achy or cramping too much that means your whole physiology is off [40:45]
- Clinical Pearl #4 – If your body is not taking in a particular nutrient, you can’t blame the food all the time, you have to look at your own physiology and what is not being supported [42:30]
Minnesota Coronary Experiment
The Nutritional Healing Center of Ann Arbor
Good Fat Life Magazine
Learn more about LEVL, a clinical-grade ketone breath meter, which measures your level of fat-burning and ketosis through a simple breath. Find out more at HeadsUpHealth.com/LEVL.
You can learn more about the Oura ring, a state of the art ring that can track sleep cycle analysis, activity, and recovery at HeadsUpHealth.com/Oura.
Learn more about Keto-Mojo, a highly accurate and affordable device for testing blood sugar and blood ketones. Check it out at HeadsUpHealth.com/Ketomojo.
All of these amazing products are integrated with Heads Up Health.
They all allow you to quantify your health in novel and powerful ways.
Thank you to our partners!
About Heads Up Health
Heads Up Health is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!