Ep 51 – Becoming a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach with Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum of Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Whether you’re a seasoned pro in the healthcare field or looking for a career change, if you have a passion for helping people with their health, and/or are interested in becoming a Certified Health Coach, you’ll want to listen in on this episode with Dr. Sandi Sheinbaum, Founder & CEO of Functional Medicine Coaching Academy.
Have you ever thought about becoming a Certified Health Coach but wondered if you have what it takes to become one? Or maybe you’re curious about adding Certified Health Coaching credentials to your existing career path? Have you had your own health crises and now want to help others after learning how to help yourself?
Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum, Founder & CEO of Functional Medicine Coaching Academy, talks with Dave Korsunsky, CEO & Founder of Heads Up about the benefits, and what it takes, to becoming a Certified Health Coach. Learn about her unique coaching program that focuses on what is going right and how to help your client tell a more empowering health story.
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices and apps, and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
“Have you worked through your own health issues and now feel the calling to serve others?” – Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- About Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum’s journey. From teaching children with learning disabilities and getting her doctorate in clinical psychology to where she is today [2:20]
- That as she began focusing on what was right with individuals, rather than what was wrong with them, she saw that they could control things with their own mindset, seeing just how the mind and body were connected. (Note: Dr. Sandi was doing this back in the 1970s!) [4:00]
- How her own experience in training with IFM led her to approach integrating what she already knew about psychology and the mind-body connection to create a health coaching program at the age of 65 (after practicing for 40-years in private practice) [5:00]
- How Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum has utilized her own experiences (around food, education and teaching those with learning disabilities) in creating the coaching program [7:30]
- The importance of starting before you feel like you’re ready [10:45]
- How you can use your own personal experience, that may have felt like a setback in your own life, to help others [11:50]
- Who is a good fit for this program? And what can students expect? [12:30]
- Dr. Scheinbaum talks about the students that come to the program. How they’ve had their own health crises and now want to help others after helping themselves [13:05]
- Why health coaches are intuitive and have a calling to bring hope, compassion, and passion to support their clients. And why you don’t need a formal education or background in healthcare to become a coach [14:30]
- “Your value is your story. Nobody has your own story.” [16:50]
- About Functional Medicine and the IFM and the difference between the Coaching program and the IFM programs for medical providers [19:00]
- How the coaching program emphasizes the behavior change process and how to help people hold themselves accountable [21:50]
- Why the coaching program is 100% online, extending their reach to support the functional medicine model, which can be more affordable [23:00]
- The different ways IFM coaches are connected to IFM healthcare providers and how they can run their own businesses or work under medical providers in clinics [23:50]
- The scope of practice for certified health coaches vs. licensed medical providers [24:40]
- About the role of technology in health coaching and how it can provide a deeper correlation for clients and coaches, helping to support clients towards their best health [25:45]
- About the future of remote client coaching [28:40]
- A real-life example of how health coaching can support a client [29:30]
- How this coaching program approaches the whole person to support the person’s whole health — their lifetime events, exposures, traumas, triggers, etc.[31:55]
- About the unique layer that IFM Coaches are trained to overlay onto the timeline of how the person got to where they are. How that includes what went right along the way, to retell their stories with a new interpretation of their life events, showcasing their strengths [34:35]
- Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum walks us through the twelve-month online program – what it entails, as well as who the demographic is that signs up for coaching classes [37:35]
- About becoming a nationally certified health coach and what certification means. Also: eligibility for insurance reimbursement [40:00]
- About the role of health coaches and how they are so needed right now, and moving forward in the world we now live in [41:00]
- About the current and future landscape of reimbursement for certified health coaches [44:15]
- Dr. Sandi Scheinbaum on how to turn adversity to advantage by retraining to be a certified health coach [46:00]
About Heads Up
Heads Up is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!