Peter Bowes is a reporter for the BBC and the host of the podcast LLAMA (Live Long And Master Aging). Through his podcast, he has interviewed both professionals studying human longevity as well as everyday people, including centenarians, to find out what drives them and keeps them living to a ripe old age.
What does your health span have to do with your quality of life? What’s the difference between health span and life span when it comes to human longevity? What is a long life worth if you’re riddled with disease by the time you achieve it? These are the questions Peter asks.
In this podcast, you’ll hear Peter Bowes share with Dave Korsunsky the top 10 longevity lessons he has compiled through his research and podcast interviews so that you, too, can get to live your best and healthiest life — and master aging!
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up Health, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices and apps and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
[maxbutton id=”5″ url=”https://headsuphealth.com/” ]
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- How metrics tracked over time allow you to see trends for longevity [5:11]
- Peter discusses ten items that are important to track for longevity [6:25]
- Lesson One – Simplicity is Good. What you feel from clutter surrounding you physically to how you organize your life alters how you make other decisions. Chaos in your life can lead you to overeat or distract yourself with other things. (Think twice before clicking buy online: “Do I really need it?”) [7:05]
- Lesson Two – Be Precise. Precision in the things that we’re doing such as keeping focus with Intermittent Fasting – ex. do you do it daily, weekly, monthly? [13:00]
- Lesson Three – Fasting is Good for Us. (Disclaimer: you should check with your provider to see if it’s right for you right now.) [15:45]
- How the different types of fasting affect you and how only through tracking your data can you see which way is best for you right now. [17:13]
- Lesson Four – Stop Eating at 6 pm. Peter talks about Satchin Panda’s work regarding the circadian rhythm. [20:00]
- How rising with the sun and winding down with the sun setting, and eating your last meal at 6 pm can help you get to sleep and stay asleep better. [21:00]
- About how the Oura ring can track when you reach your lowest resting heart rate in the night to help you figure out what is working for you regarding the last meal of the day and more [22:00]
- About N=1 Experiments and how they are really beneficial; as you share with your friends who are doing the same things, you’ll start to see patterns that are more universal [23:20]
- Lesson Five – Never Stop Having a Project. Keep doing what you love whether you get paid for it or not. (Ex. Megastar Herb Albert is still working well into his early 80’s as a sculptor, artist, painter, and musician.)[24:25]
- Lesson Six – Keep Moving Every Day, Every Hour. There is no reason why you can’t do that in any job. Just get up every hour and walk around for a few minutes [27:57]
- To get moving, park further away from the place you’re going and take the stairs if you’re able to. Walk around the building before going into it and you’ll get your steps in every day. Take the long way there! [31:45]
- How Dave noticed that being in a metropolitan area he got more exercise when everything was within a 6 block radius, versus living somewhere where things were further apart and more driving was required [33:15]
- That being active isn’t about weight loss per se, but about the movement that benefits your muscles, cardiovascular system, mood and more. You don’t need a device to achieve that, but tracking it can motivate you to keep consistent [34:00]
- Lesson Seven – Moderation is Not Everything. But what does moderation actually mean? “Moderation is that word you use when you don’t want to push yourself to the limit” – Joe De Sena. It doesn’t really mean anything. Do it precisely, not wishy-washy. Go all in! [35:40]
- Play the game of life full out. Some days are good, some days aren’t. [37:00]
- Lesson Eight – Enduring Discomfort is Good for You. Take a cold shower instead of a hot shower, and you’ll feel great coming out of it. Everything is appreciated more when it’s infrequent [37:45]
- The good will feel so much better after you’ve endured some discomfort regularly like a cold shower vs hot or really healthy food vs. a very occasional treat. It will be so much better than if you had access to that treat every day [40:30]
- Lesson Nine – Eat Clean, Eat Simply. Choose clean vegetables; homegrown is great! The appreciation of freshly harvested food is so beneficial. Appreciate food and eat simply. You don’t need gourmet food to lead a good life. [41:45]
- Lesson Ten – Simplicity is Good. – How you run your life/day/mind and environment (decluttering).
- About the reward circuits of hyper-palatable foods of modern culture [44:00]
- The number one reason that people want to be able to live to a long age? They want to do it for their children and their grandchildren. Family and connectivity and sharing wisdom is the main reason for wanting to live to an old age with a high quality of life. What’s yours? [46:09]
- Extending life is important to share the wisdom that is gained in a life well lived [49:45]
Learn more about LEVL, a clinical-grade ketone breath meter, which measures your level of fat-burning and ketosis through a simple breath. Find out more at HeadsUpHealth.com/LEVL.
You can learn more about the Oura ring, a state of the art ring that can track sleep cycle analysis, activity, and recovery at HeadsUpHealth.com/Oura.
Learn more about Keto-Mojo, a highly accurate and affordable device for testing blood sugar and blood ketones. Check it out at HeadsUpHealth.com/Ketomojo.
All of these amazing products are integrated with Heads Up Health.
They all allow you to quantify your health in novel and powerful ways.
Thank you to our partners!
About Heads Up Health
Heads Up Health is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!
[maxbutton id=”4″ url=”https://headsuphealth.com/” ]