Are we literally jumping into a freezing cold lake just for the health of it? Absolutely! Join Dave and Dr. John Limansky for this Quick Hits episode about the benefits of cold water therapy and how it can benefit you in reducing stress while costing you nothing. Be sure to watch the video!
Welcome to the latest Quick Hits feature episode, delivering the quick and dirty details on topics that are important to you and your health. In 15 minutes or less, we’ll deliver important health info to you to keep your mind active whether you’re waiting in the carpool lane, on your morning commute, or fitting in a quick workout!
When was the last time you jumped into a cold lake, just for the fun of it? In this Quick Hits episode, Dave Korsunsky talks with John Limansky, MD, board-certified physician of Internal Medicine to discuss the stress-reducing, immune modulating, and therapeutic benefits of cold water immersion therapy.
We’re diving in quick to get you the big ideas and then we’ll provide you with some resources at the bottom of the page for further reading if you want to learn more.
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up Health, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices like the Oura ring as well as other devices and apps and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
[maxbutton id=”5″ url=”https://headsuphealth.com/” ]
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- What cold water therapy is and why your body responds positively to specific stressors that stimulate your body short term [1:50]
- How you can induce this hormetic stress with cryotherapy and cold immersion therapy in your home or outside in nature [3:00]
- Why the immersion temperature for cold water therapy has to be below 50 degrees to initiate a hormetic stress response [3:30]
- The differences between clinical cryotherapy (-200º) for 1-2 min. vs. cold water lake immersion (50º or colder) 5-10 min. [4:40]
- Why you have to build up to it for it to be effective and not harmful [5:00]
- How to recreate this effect in your bathtub [5:40]
- That your body adapts its response, initially shivering in response to burning energy, and then non-shivering where biochemical changes happen. [6:00]
- Why it’s vital to submerge deep enough to cover the vagus nerve (neck) and how covering your head can be even more beneficial [6:35]
- Why studies show a reduction in blood pressure, cortisol, and positive changes in neurotransmitter levels [7:55]
- How cold water immersion therapy can reduce inflammation and can increase dopamine 530% after one hour at about 57º study [8:25]
- How biohacking with cold water therapy inhibits TNF-a, stimulates the immune system to include benefits similar to autophagy that happens when fasting as well as decreases inflammatory prostaglandins [10:00]
- How cold immersion therapy helps with stress reduction and how doing it in a natural body of water has additional benefits [12:00]
Eat your own dog food
Check out this video where Dave and John take a dip into the balmy waters of Lake Tahoe at 42 degrees!
Dr. Limansky’s podcast: The Ketohacking MD
Dr. Limansky’s website: www.biohackmd.com
Learn more about LEVL, a clinical-grade ketone breath meter, which measures your level of fat-burning and ketosis through a simple breath. Find out more at HeadsUpHealth.com/LEVL.
You can learn more about the Oura ring, a state of the art ring that can track sleep cycle analysis, activity, and recovery at HeadsUpHealth.com/Oura.
Learn more about Keto-Mojo, a highly accurate and affordable device for testing blood sugar and blood ketones. Check it out at HeadsUpHealth.com/Ketomojo.
All of these amazing products are integrated with Heads Up Health.
They all allow you to quantify your health in novel and powerful ways.
Thank you to our partners!
About Heads Up Health
Heads Up Health is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!
[maxbutton id=”4″ url=”https://headsuphealth.com/” ]