Growing up, Dr. Mona Ezzat Velinov knew that she wanted to help people. After working in conventional medicine, she had her own health crisis, and this began her research into other ways of healing and supporting her body. She trained to become a functional medicine doctor and now works with individuals to improve their health, as well as with corporate wellness programs.
Having a bigger vision, after working at both Apple and Facebook as an onsite doctor, Dr Mona decided to bring functional medicine to corporate health and is now creating onsite programs to improve employee health and outlook.
Listen as Dave Korsunsky talks with Mona Ezzat Velinov about her life’s work and vision for the future.
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices and apps and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- About Dr. Mona Ezzat Velinov’s background as a locum tenens doctor that exposed her to a lot of different types of practices and cultures all over the world [2:20]
- What is psychoneuroimmunology? [6:45]
- About the in-depth intake that functional medicine practitioners utilize when starting work with a new patient [8:10]
- Why understanding your family history helps to understand epigenetic changes [9:45]
- About Dr. Mona Ezzat Velinov’s transition from traditional to functional medicine [10:45]
- How Dr. Mona’s experience with thyroid cancer led her to functional medicine [11:15]
- The effects of chemotherapy/radiation’s effects on the microbiome [12:05]
- About Dr. Mona Ezzat Velinov’s private practice and specialty in thyroid health, gut health, menopausal transitions, and autoimmune disease [13:45]
- How Dr. Mona uses techniques like monitoring breathwork, meditation, HRV tracking to support her patients [14:40]
- Elite HRV, Oura, Biostrap and their tracking of HRV and other biometrics and how they connect to environment and biology [16:40]
- About the environmental toxins and thyroid/endocrine disruption that can lead to Hashimoto’s [17:55]
- EWG – tapwater reports and the Cosmetic Database [18:45]
- About microbiome disruptors such as infections like traveler’s diarrhea, parasites, and how important tracking your bowel movements are [19:45]
- Why you need to look in the toilet bowl daily and an interesting idea about Smart Toilets [22:40]
- That Dr. Mona Ezzat Velinov worked at Apple and Facebook as a doctor and saw how helpful it was to have a doctor on-site. Why she wants to bring functional medicine to the workplace for preventative health support [23:00]
- Why group support in the workplace from functional medicine can support creating a healthier work environment [24:10]
About Heads Up
Heads Up is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!